UPSC (Union Public Service Commission) conducts Engineering Services Exam (ESE) every year which is also popularly known as IES (Indian Engineering Services) to recruit engineers for the post of Group- ‘A' Officers who work under various departments of the Government of India. The various departments are:
- India Railways
- Department of Telecommunication
- Defence Service of Engineers
- PWD (Public Work Division)
- Central Water Engineering
Indian Engineering Services Examination conducted by UPSC to recruit the Engineers in the following four specializations:
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering
The Exam consists of a written test and a personal interview. The written exam is divided into two parts
- Preliminary Examination: It is further subdivided into two parts Part – I & Part II, both are Objective type exams.
- Mains Examination: It is further subdivided into two parts Part – I & Part II, both are conventional type exams.
Based on the specialization, the nature of the work assigned to the recruited Engineers.