The Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY) is a Scholarship program conducted by IISc Bangalore. KVPY examination is conducted for students of exceptional talent who can pursue basic science and are seeking research career in the field of science. This year KVPY exam is on November 1. It offers scholarship and contingency grants up to the pre-Ph.D. level to selected students. It was first started in the year 1999. It was funded by the Department of Science to encourage students to take up a fellowship program in basic sciences.
The talented students having an aptitude for research can apply for this fellowship. They can thus contribute to research and development in the country.
The KVPY eligibility has been notified by the IISc which states that the candidate must be of Indian origin studying in 11th standard to the first year of any basic science program can apply for this program. IISc conducts the aptitude test across various KVPY test centres.
Three streams in KVPY:
- SA stream: For the students studying Science stream in 11th standard.
- SX stream: For the students studying Science stream in 12th standard.
- SB stream: For the students studying Science stream in the 1st year of graduation.
Candidates are called for an interview based on the aptitude test result which is the last stage of KVPY selection procedure. To attain scholarship candidate has to clear both aptitude test and interview.
Following is the weight-age:
- Aptitude Test – 75%
- Interview marks in the streams SA, SB and SX - 25%
Fellowship details of KVPY:
|Basic Sciences||Monthly Fellowship||Annual Grant|
|SA/SX/SB - during 1st to 3rd years of - B.Sc./B.S./B.Stat./B.Math. / Integrated M.Sc. /M.S.||Rs.5000||Rs.20000|
|SA/SX/SB - during M. Sc. / 4th to 5th years of Integrated M.Sc. /M.S./M.Math./M.Stat||Rs.7000||Rs.28000|
Things to Know about KVPY:
- The candidates who continue to study Basic Science courses in school/ junior college/ university, and maintains a minimum level of academic performance of first class or 60% (50% for SC/ST/PWD) aggregate of marks or equivalent grade points and the students has to necessarily pass all the subjects prescribed for that particular academic year.
- Around 1 lakh students appeared for the examination last year out of which 881 students of 11th standard, 1554 students of 12th standard and 96 students of graduation were given KVPY scholarship.
- This aptitude exam is conducted in English and Hindi across all the test centres. Students can download KVPY admit card from official website from the second week of October 2019.
- However the application form needs to fill in online mode only, the application fee of the exam is INR 1000 for general category students and INR 500 for students belonging to SC/ST/OBC.
- Candidates should read the instruction carefully while filling the KVPY application procedure.
KVPY Latest News & Updates
Latest Articles on KVPY
KVPY Exam: OverviewYoung Scientist Incentive Plan, or Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY), was a scholarship program supported by the Department of Science and Technology of the Government of India with the goal of enticing students to pursue research careers in the basic sciences. Selected st... Read more
What is KVPY?Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY) is a scholarship initiative supported by the Government of India's Department of Science and Technology. Its primary objective is to promote research-oriented careers in the fundamental sciences among students. Through this program, eligible stu... Read more