CMS College, Kottayam is the oldest college of India which was established by Church Missionary Society in the year 1817 at the princely state of Travancore as Scott Christian College. CMS College is known to be the first Western-style college of India that has 14 departments and offers 47 Under Graduate and Post Graduate courses in Science, Commerce & Banking, IT, Arts and Vocational Studies. The college also has six research centres which offer Doctorate programmes in the field of Botany, Zoology, Physics, Chemistry, English and Commerce.
The college is aided by the Government of Kerala and the University Grant Commission (UGC) and is managed by the Church of South India. Earlier, the college was affiliated to the Madras University and presently is affiliated to Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam. CMS College was first accredited by NAAC in the year 1999 with Five Star. Later, in the year 2007, it was reaccredited with ‘B++' Grade. The college was also granted the status of ‘Centre with Potential for Excellence' by the University Grant Commission.
CMS College is equipped with the best technological infrastructure which supports teaching and research activities. The college campus is spread over the area of 30 acres and comprises of 67 Class Rooms, 8 Laboratories, 7 Computer Labs, 1 Language Lab, 3 IT-enabled Seminar Halls, 1 Auditorium, Central Library, 8 Department Libraries, 2 women's hostel and 1 sports hostel.
CMS College organizes periodic awareness and training programmes along with providing ample information about various career choices and higher study options. The college also conducts Campus Recruitment Drives and numerous students are placed through these drives.